Friday 13 February 2015

Types of film magazine

In the world of magazine publishing, their are roughly two types of film magazines. regular and Subscriber edition covers. I want to research these types of magazines to investigate which type of magazine my cover will be. They often differ in terms of cover design.

Original:
 

Regular magazines are the most common type. Magazines such as SFX, TOTAL FILM and EMPIRE are all around the 2.99-3.99 price bracket. Regular magazines feature all of the headlines, pugs, by-lines, taglines and secondary leads on the cove for extra information.

Subscriber:
 
 
Subscriber edition covers have no extra features or leads other than the image, headline and the masthead. As subscribers are exclusive members, the image often features exclusive cover art specially designed for the subscribers. Regular magazines often feature long shots/mid shots whilst subscriber editions tend to feature close-ups. These covers could feature a different character, a different location, a different costume, or, If the actors on the regular cover are heroes, the subscriber cover may feature a villain.

From my research, I can gather that I will do a version of a original paid magazine, and I might do a special edition subscriber version with a different image (maybe one of my character as a z-ombie to show the transformation.

No comments:

Post a Comment