Tuesday 20 January 2015

The z-ombie makeup process


After watching the tutorials online and looking at articles on the internet, I eventually came up with a z-ombie look that I could build upon (i.e make more gory with progression). I wanted the makeup to reflect the various stages of development. For my trailer, I decided to show three stages, that meant to do three levels of makeup and three different bite marks. Stage one being fairly 'un-dead' whilst stage three being 'extreme' . I used the makeup I mentioned in the post about makeup research to produce a realistic look without looking too fake.

Stage one:
 The makeup here was simply used to make her look unhealthy, I used a mix of a white face paint and a light foundation to gain that 'undead look', as both of these products had a blueish undertone, the overall skin colour looked slightly more 'dead'. I painted on dark circles to give a weary, tired look rather than to make her look like an obvious z-ombie.
For the bite mark, I used special FX products such a ridged collodian and scar wax to give the impression that the mark is sunken into the skin, I didn't want it to look too irritated, just like an old inflamed scar on her arm. This bite mark will provide obvious connotations that she was bitten, and that the film has a z-ombie element to it.






Stage two:

 For stage two, I wanted to show some obvious deterioration, particularly around the eyes. I used eye shadow to hollow out around the eyes and red lipstick under the eyes to give an irritated look. The cheeks are also more sunken in, indicating a recent loss of weight.         For the Bite, I wanted to make it look more sore, using red lipstick to create the impression of inflamed skin combined with purple eye shadow made it look like it is bruised and infected.   






 Stage Three:


For this look, I wanted the character to look like she has lost a lot of weight, therefore I used eye shadow's to shade and contour around the collarbones to create an appearance of malnutrition. To emphasise this, I asked the character to wear a vest to emphasise the makeup and the degradation. To give an even more 'dead' feel, I painted fake veins on her forehead to make the skin look slightly translucent.



 
For the final stage I also painted the hands to look more decayed, the close ups that will be used in the trailer will emphasise the hands and how they have degraded.











To make the bite mark look more extreme, I painted veins coming out of the bite to look
even more infected. 

No comments:

Post a Comment